Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An End to Autumn

In a matter of days, it's become winter. The snow's been falling steadily for three days now. Everything is covered in a foot and half of pristine white fluff that doesn't show any sign of abating. I can't remember the last time we had this much snow (or any snow for that matter) before thanksgiving. It makes me feel like a little kid. It's even a snow day! All I need is some hot cocoa with itty bitty marshmallows and I'm twelve years old again, curled up by the fire, watching the snow pile up.

Tomorrow afternoon we leave for Thanksgiving in the Bay with my moms entire family. Thanksgiving in this family isn't just a few blood relatives around a turkey, it's a 60 person banquet with two turkeys, my uncles AMAZING pineapple ham, eight or nine side dishes, five or six pies, and family, friends, pets, and general mayhem all crowded into my uncles massive living room. Subsequently, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. The food, the family, the fantastic energy that surrounds this amazing and diverse group of people who I am lucky enough to call Family. My roommate and best friend is tagging along this year, to experience the "magic", so to speak. She's never had a big family Thanksgiving, and over the years, she's heard so much about this event and the various characters that attend it, that she decided to come along and see for herself just how insane and wonderful my family is.

My favorite part of thanksgiving with my family isn't the food (though thats a big draw, too) but when, after we've all gorged ourselves on turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and we're all sitting around the tables smiling contentedly at each other, we go around and each member of the 60+ person assembly tells what he or she is thankful for. My cousins take bets on which aunt will cry first--it's always Aunt Dawn--and even the little kids get in on the action, explaining their gratitude for mommy and daddy and their new party dress. It's really an extraordinary thing to be a part of.

And no matter what, that is always the overwhelming theme of these gratitudes. Family, and the blessing we have all been given by being a part of this one. Over the years I have seen this family I am so fortunate belong to grow and change, I've seen an entire generation grow into adults, get married, start their own family's. I've witnessed the inclusion of unique and wonderful people, who may not share our blood, but certainly share the sense of love and understanding that has united us again and again underneath one roof. And they become family in this way, by sharing this wonderful tradition with us.

I am so lucky, in a world where the word "family" means less and less (my own parents are divorced), I am fortunate enough to belong to one that, in no uncertain terms, loves each other. People fly from all over the country to make thanksgiving with us and it's really amazing to see that. It gives me hope. It makes me feel as though, no matter what, I'm never alone, because I've got these amazing people loving me. Because I know that they'll always be there, supporting me, loving me, wishing me well. There are so many people in the world who don't have that, who have no one to turn to or fall back on when times are hard, and I am just so incredibly thankful to know what it's like to look around a crowded room and see four generations of family, friends new and old, and to know that we all come together every year to express something much larger than words can accurately communicate.

Needless to say, I'm excited.

Also, this video is interesting/inspiring.
Checkit.

INFLUENCERS FULL VERSION from R+I creative on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment